Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Hello Fall and other things

My favorite season of the year is quickly coming upon us. Most people view the last "real" day of summer as Labor Day so shouldn't that mean that the first day of fall clearly falls on the following tuesday?? The month of September is great for 3 simple reasons. The start of the NFL season (excluding preseason games), fall actually begins and it's my birthday month!

This year on my birthday I'm actually in charge of activity days. It was determined that this particular activity will be the fundraser, Pennies by the Inch for Primary Childrens Hospital. What a great cause! So activity days is for girls ages 8-11 and I need to try and make this activity fun. I mean lets face it, how fun can it really be to go door to door asking for a monetary donation during the not so great economic times. I've been racking my brain trying to come up with an idea to make it  interesting. This is all I have come up with so far:

The girls will be split up into 2 teams and assigned the same amount of blocks to go around. Once they finish at the last house, they will be given an envelope with a bunch of word strips inside. They have to race back to the church and figure out in which order the words go. (The words make up a scripture in the Book of Mormon on service) They will be given the scripture reference and a Book of Mormon to help them figure it out.

I know there should maybe be a reward but shouldn't the reward be the good deed that you're doing? Any thoughts? Afterwards we would have a little discussion about why serving others is so important and what we can gain from it. I think there would be enough time for all of that but I don't know. I guess I could revise it a bit. Any suggestions would be welcomed, the activity lasts 1 hour.


No comments: