Monday, January 25, 2010

Resolutions and Workouts

So I've decided that making new years resolutions is for the birds. How many people actually make new years resolutions and stick with them? I presonally do not know a single person who has kept with their resolutions for a whole year. I've always wondered, what happens after that year? Do you stick with it or do you say, "Ok, I've accomplished my goal of keeping it for a year, onto the next!". I don't know because I have never stuck with a resolution. I would say I'm ashamed to admit that, but I'm not. There are soooo many others out there just like me. Also, why is it that we focus on goals so much at the beginning of the year and then we don't give it a second or third thought the rest of the year? Just curious....

I came across a website last week called Zen Habits. From what I have read so far, I like it. There was a posting/article about creating workout habits and I really liked what it had to say. For those that don't know I had a baby in december, my little man in now a month old. Two days after I had my son, I was able to fit back into my pre pregnancy jeans but they're by no means a size that I would brag about. However I must say I was proud to be able to fit into them so soon after giving birth. So yes, I would like to lose weight. I actually have a lot to lose. After reading the post on Zen Habits about creating an exercise habit I've decided not to focus on how many pounds I'm losing (or not losing) but I am going to do what it says, focus on 1 goal.

My orginal goal was to start my workout program today. Unfortunately for me, Mother Nature had different plans for me and that monthly thing I got so used to not having came back with a vengance. So, I've decided to post pone starting my workout plan for a week since I can't use tampons yet. Anyway back to my workout plan. I like to pretend that there are lots of people in cyber space who check in on my blog that don't comment (for those of you I know, don't burst my bubble, it's my motivation) The article on Zen Habits talks about making sure you log what you've done daily and have someone to check in with. So this blog will serve the purpose of 3 steps I need to take in creating my habit. I will check in daily, log what I've done and like I said, for the many people out there that ready this blog, that will be my motivation. Knowing that I have people who are checking to see if I've done what I've set out to do, I'm hoping will be enough for me to get up each morning. I haven't quite put together all of the specifics like the post talks about but this is what I have: Monday - Friday: 5 minutes of stretching, 20 minute Turbo Jam workout, 5 minutes stretching.
Saturday: stretch for 5 minutes, walk for 30 minutes, stretch for 5 minutes.
Sunday will be my 1 day of rest.
The day I actually begin my workout program I will post a picture of what I look like (another motivating factor) and occasionally I will post updated pictures. 30 days. That is what I am committing to right here right now (Of course I will let you know when I actually start my 30 days). Wish me luck!

1 comment:

James and Virginia Henry said...

Well I read your blog, so you can check in with me! I think it's a great idea...I'll do it with you if you don't mind my copying you!